Jump start for SMP in college?

Jump start for SMP in college? Topic: Persons case scholarship program
June 17, 2019 / By Sheena
Question: I am a 16 y/o highschool junior right now. I was looking into the SMP (simultaneous membership program) in college which is where an ROTC cadet also is enlisted in the national guard or reserves. Can I get some info on this? Am I able to switch to active duty after I graduated from college and am commissioned as a 2LT? Watch the catch with this program? Because from what I've heard it just sounds like easy money. Also, am I able to start my service to the reserves or national guard in high school next year as a senior? (I am 17 in July, and I know you can join at 17 with parent consent)
Best Answer

Best Answers: Jump start for SMP in college?

Paula Paula | 10 days ago
It is unusual for Jeeper to be so far off in an answer. All of us have a bad day to include sometimes misunderstanding a question and giving a less than thoughtful response. Following is from Army documents: "Before signing for SMP, you are expected to have joined the Reserves or NG that sends you to BCT and AIT. If this is the case, you will be paid at the E-1 rate or if you have sufficient college credits you can get paid at up to E-3 rate. After completion of BCT and AIT, you can apply for SMP (no guarantee that you will get it though - so think long and hard about enlisting first in Reserves/NG for SMP). If you do get SMP and accepted into ROTC (which should be easy after BCT/AIT), you can receive the following as a full-time ROTC student: 1. Drill Pay at E-5 rate (only if you are a full-time ROTC student. Drop out of ROTC then you will be back to your BCT/AIT pay grade) {google "military pay chart" - look at E-5 under 2 years unless you are prior enlisted} 2. Monthly stipend of $350 for 12 months as a Junior and $400 for 12 months as Senior unless commissioned within that 12 months. This is essentially the ROTC scholarship program. Used to be that you did not have to enlist to get this - better check it out first before you sign on the dotted line. A lot of current ROTC students are being told no active duty due to Army manpower reductions. With current budget cuts, this may also hit the Reserves and NG. This is important to you since SMP provides a means for guaranteeing you a slot in either the Reserves or NG. However, this can change if the current Congressional budget is drastically cut for the military resulting in cancellation of "guarantees". Happened in 1975/6 - post Vietnam. NOTE: You get your Reserve pay plus the scholarship money. By the time you get to college, the budget mess may be resolved and Service manpower levels stablized. 3. National Adv. Leadership Camp - $600 if selected to go 4. You are eligible for Tuition Assistance due to Reserve membership (this might go away with the budget cuts also - watch the newspapers and sign up for: www.military.com (has current info about all the above to include proposed changes to military retirement benefits and retirement pay - some very drastic in deed!)). The amount changes but you can get current amounts by visiting any Army Reserve unit (where you drill depends on your MOS - so enlist with caution to make sure you get an MOS that is open with your closest Reserve unit). In the past, scholarships were either awarded before you went to College that would cover the 1st two years or awarded after you became a Sophomore in good standing within the ROTC program for payment during your 3rd and 4th year (as noted above). Suggest in your senior year, visit your closest Army ROTC campus and get current regs. These change frequently and with the current Army personnel drawdown, even the SMP and scholarship program could be in jeapordy. Check it out in person. If you complete ROTC, you will have option to apply for an active duty slot - if one is available for your chosen Branch (e.g. artillery, infantry, air defense, etc). I would not recommend signing up for active drilling Reserves or NG while you are still in High School. Your parents, hopefully, will not sign for you while you are a HS student. You have plenty of time to do this correctly, so no hurry. Haste oftens results in failure due to poor thought patterns. Focus on college and how you will achieve it if being a military officer is your goal. Lieutenant Colonel, US Marine Corps-Retired
👍 168 | 👎 10
Did you like the answer? Jump start for SMP in college? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: Persons case scholarship program

Paula Originally Answered: Where do I start ( College)?
I know how that feels so I'll try to help you out as much as I can. 1. You need to apply to the college that you want to attend. You can check out that college's website and it should have a link on there for freshman and it'll have all the requirements or a check list of what you need to do. Most require that you submit an application for admission, an application fee, and that you send your transcripts from high school. They'll also have how much they charge for tuition. 2. After you've been accepted you need to fill out a fasfa online. This is what all colleges require their students to fill out if they want financial aid or student loans. It asks for stuff like your personal information, your parents personal information, your and your parents income, and other stuff like that. Then after it gets processed online (it usually takes a couple of days I think), they'll send it to your school's financial aid office. You will then need to sign some forms from your school after they receive your fafsa but they'll mail you a letter (or you can go by) and they'll tell you what you need to sign or what they need to process it. www.fafsa.ed.gov/ is the website for that. 3. After you've finished your requirements for the fafsa and they've decided what you'll receive, they'll mail you a letter or put it in your student account online telling you what you received. For example you might get one saying you've received $4,500 pell grant. They'll automatically divide that in half for the fall and spring semester so you'd get $2,250 for the fall semester and then the other $2,250 for the spring semester. There's different types of aid. Check out studentaid.ed.gov for some information on the different types. 4. After you have received your aid you'll meet with an advisor (it'll be a teacher from your choice of major that you make an appointment with) and he/she will help you choose which classes to take each semester. 5. Once you've done that you can register for classes when registration starts (I think most colleges let you do it online or at least mine have) 6. You buy your books and start your classes. sorry that was long but I hope I helped. Good luck :)
Paula Originally Answered: Where do I start ( College)?
Where are you? If you are in America go to www.petersons.com. They have the most amazing search for colleges and there are all sorts of things that you can search for. Once you narrow down your choices you can move on, apply early. Look at the course offerings in the program that you want to study, the teachers and the facilities. Also consider the city and it's resources. Tuition ranges drastically from one place to another (there is a search option for different tuition brackets at Peterson's). Look at the schools financial aid website as see what they have avaliable. Scholarships become avaliable around October for the next Fall, so keep that in mind. As soon as your parent's W-2 forms come in Jan/Feb fill out the FAFSA (at www.fafsa.ed.gov), you want to do this as soon as possible. This is your financial aid information and it will be sent to the school who will send you an award letter around April. Just to note this if you are living in the dorms send in your forms and deposit as soon as you get accepted to guarantee your first choice of rooms and halls. I hope this helps, if you need anything else just e mail me!
Paula Originally Answered: Where do I start ( College)?
S as H Should I appear out (LOOK OUT) You don't have anything to appear out for . It is College and individuals in College are there to gain knowledge of and wish admire from all in College it's not prime college in which individuals have very little admire. You understand what you wish in existence and this all you have got to pay attention to as you move in. Down the road you're going to get to grasp individuals with what they wish out of you, and a few you'll do with out, that is what you have got to appear out for. College is extra grownup kind like when you consider that you're going to be taking guides that you just wish and might be by no means use in existence, BUT this isn't a loss it's revel in in an effort to support you in all endeavours you wish out of existence. I don't wish to bore you as there can be adequate in university in an effort to be uninteresting and wish to provide you a hand while you fall in your butt in case your skating ha ha ha Hey ® Just be pleasant as you may have constantly been. Knowing me understanding you. The track.

Marian Marian
easy money ? what money is that ? All being a smp cadet means, is you are paid as an E-5 in the guard $200 a month. There is no other pay for being smp. 2. plus, smp cadets Cannot receive ROTC scholarships - so you must pay for your own college.
👍 60 | 👎 7

Marian Originally Answered: My college essay.where to start?
You could describe a talent, a habit, an experience, and how that ties in to your overall personality/attributes. Describe the attributes that you will be able to share with your future classmates.
Marian Originally Answered: My college essay.where to start?
There is something you can write about. How about writing about your future career. Or why you want to attend these universities. You could write about something life changing that has happened to you. There are many things. But ask your English teacher to help you.

If you have your own answer to the question persons case scholarship program, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.