PARVO, please help! i love my puppies and i need answers.?
Topic: Case shot show
July 19, 2019 / By Christelle Question:
I got a new puppy last saturday, and he is now at the vet with parvo. this morning they told me he hardly had a pulse, and wouldn't respond. they lost him for a minute but they brought him back and said his pulse is back to normal and he is sitting up, not only am i wondering if he will make it, but while the puppy was at my house, every night he slept with my weenie dog in a cage, shard food, toys, they licked each other ALOT. My weenie dog is 10 months old and she had her first 2 parvo shots but never her vaccine. I'm taking her in today but i am so worried and really need something to ease my mind.. is there a chance my weenie dog doesn't have it? She shows no symptoms but i know it's probably too early for that. But if she does show up positive does she have a better chance of surviving since she will be getting treated early before symptoms at all? please help me out, i'm about to lose one baby puppy i don't wanna lose my weenie dog.
Well I said vaccine bc i was just reading her papers on all of the shots she had, and it just said she had her first and second set that included the parvo shot and then i read online she needed her third vaccine for parvo, i'm not really sure about the medical terms i just really hope they make it, i'm already giving my weenie dog pedialyte just in case, even though she shows no signs. thanks for the positive answers it truely eases my mind.
Since my 10 month old may not show positive bc it is too early, i was going to get her a booster shot today, is that a good idea? and also i was reading up on parvaid. If i order that for her would i just be wasting my time since she may not have it or would it even help if she isn't showing symptoms?
Best Answers: PARVO, please help! i love my puppies and i need answers.?
Austyn | 4 days ago
If your 10 month old dog is not showing symptoms then the parvo test the vet conducts will not give you an accurate result. The dog will have to show symptoms in order to get a positive back. The incubation time for parvo is 4-10 days since you got the puppy on Saturday your only on day 5. If she doesn't show symptoms after day 10 then you should be in the clear. Since she has had 2 vaccinations and she is older her immune system should hopefully be strong enough to fight it. Keep an eye on her, if she starts to show disinterest in food and seems lethargic get her to the vet as these are usually the first symptoms. Good luck, and I hope both of your pups make it through!
ADD: While it's a good idea to make sure she gets that 3rd vaccination, if she's already been exposed then it won't help. The booster isn't effective until 3-4 weeks after the shot is given. But seek the advice of your vet as to whether or not she should. As far as parvaid is concerned I think it's just bologne, if she has it, she has it. If it was all that amazing and kept puppies from getting or keeping the severity of the virus to a minimum, vets would recommend it worldwide. I really think your girl will be fine, as I said since she is older she can get it, but the symptoms probably wouldn't be nearly as life threatening as it would be if a 12 week old puppy got it. I know the panic of parvo all to well since I got my pup on a Saturday a couple of months ago and a friend of ours went to get her sister on the following Wednesday and the sister ended up having parvo. My whole world stopped since the vet pretty much said my puppy would have been exposed to it since I had only had her for 4 days. I watched her like a hawk and she ended up being okay and never coming down with it, Thank god! Keep us updated and just keep watching her~
👍 156 | 👎 4
Did you like the answer? PARVO, please help! i love my puppies and i need answers.?
Share with your friends
We found more questions related to the topic: Case shot show
Originally Answered: Can a goat get parvo from a infected parvo puppy?
Parvovirus does not transfer from dogs to other species, but it is highly contagious and will transmit to other dogs who have not been properly vaccinated.
Parvo will not transmit to goats, but goats can be infected with numerous other diseases. Typical vaccinations for goats is a twice-yearly CDT injection, which prevents enterotoxemia, tetanus and pasteurella. Another common deficiency that goats should be protected against is white muscle disease, which results from a selenium deficiency. This is usually injected to pregnant does before kidding to protect the unborn kids. Also, a coccidiosis prevention regime should be used, particularly in young kids. Most adults develop a resistance to this, but it can be fatal to kids under 6 months.
Goats can pick up parasites, particularly intestinal worms, mites and lice, from other species. This can happen pretty readily if they are kept on the same pasture as dogs or deer that carry these parasites. If your puppies had worms (roundworms, tapeworm, etc.) the cross- infection risk is pretty high. I don't recommend keeping goats on pasture that has been exposed to dog feces. Deer populations also transmit listeriosis (circling disease). This is a fast moving brain fever that can kill an untreated animal in less than 48 hours, and vet treatment is required for recovery.
There are also other viral diseases that have no cure. If you are considering owning a goat, do some research on CAE (caprine arthritic encephalitis). There is also Johnne's Disease, which is a chronic wasting disease. Either of these illnesses are untreatable, and a symptomatic animal can suffer horribly.
Keeping goats (not just one, they do need a companion) is not an inexpensive endeavor. Grain, hay and basic vet care can equal or surpass the cost of keeping a dog. As you've said that you don't have the money to pay for vet care for your dog(s), I wouldn't recommend getting a goat. We do nearly all of our own vet work ourselves, but feed isn't cheap, and the cost of hay is forever going up. If you want a pet, consider something smaller - perhaps a rabbit or cavie or a couple of chickens if you have a small coop.
And if you do decide to get another pet, please do your research beforehand. Any animal can get sick or injured, and you want to know how to care for them properly before you bring a new animal home. Do your homework first. And even a rabbit is going to cost money - feed, housing, bedding and such can still add up.
If the new puppy had to be "brought back", chances are that it still needs IV fluids, Cerenia (anti-emetic medication) Cefazolinn (IV antibiotic) to prevent sepsis, and possibly a blood transfusion. Even then it's possible to still lose her. Because there is no cure for parvo, the aforementioned supportive care is the only thing that can be done at this point.
The dachshund may get it, it may not. Has a better chance of not getting it than the puppy because of the 2 vaccines it did have, but it should have had 3, so it's hard to say.
Why didn't you vaccinate properly? Much cheaper to prevent parvo than to treat it.
Take a fresh poop sample from your weiner dog in to have it tested for parvo. In the mean time start bleaching everything the puppy touched, since it is now contaminated and can spread the disease. Any hard surfaces like the kennel, floors, etc. Soft items like blankets should be incinerated or at least strongly bleached out. Anything that can't be bleached or burned should be thrown out. (Your vet will be able to take your "parvo garbage" to be incinerated with their cremation services)
👍 60 | 👎 0
If she is not showing signs then you should be fairly safe I commend you on making sure they have the shots they need it makes it hard since it is a process, it took me 4 months to get all of my cat's shots and neuter done but it is worth it. Your weenie dog has a good chance of not having issues since she had most of her shots, your puppy will have a to fight through this to survive, but the vet sounds like they are taking good care of your puppy. Best of wishes.
👍 57 | 👎 -4
The chances are poor for your sick puppy but it is only slim chance for your older puppy to get it.You should have ensured the final vaccine but the First two is a big shot in her favor. Sheri and the other are right you have a lot of cleaning to do and DO NOT bring any unvaccinated puppies or dogs into your home for 10 months. They will get it.
Sheri I didn't see your link you mentioned.
👍 54 | 👎 -8
You seem to be confused - shot, vaccine, inoculation, and immunization are all the same thing. So the 10 month old should be protected against contracting parvo from your puppy or any other dog.
👍 51 | 👎 -12
Originally Answered: If you have a purebred dog, and it has puppies, do the puppies need to be registered?
I'm not sure why it bothers you that the owner of the b*tch wants to register the pups. Actually, all she does is register the litter, and the AKC sends papers to give the new owners when they buy the pups so they can choose if they wish to register the dogs they buy.
True, the owner of the b*tch can sell the pups for more money if both parents are registered.
So, my question now is, why do you disapprove of this?
The owner of the b*tch has a LOT more expenses to cover than you do. You should have done ofa and cerf testing and other health tests on your male to prove he wouldn't pass on any genetic problems, but the other owner has to do vet care for the b*tch during and after the pregnancy, and for the pups after they are born. He also has the cost of giving the pups their first worming and shots, as well as feeding them dog food as they are weaned before they are sold.
So, wanting to be able to charge a bit more for the registerable pups strikes me as reasonable and fair. If you don't want the pups to be overcharged for, you could have written a contract stipulating the sale price of the pups.
What concerns me is WHY you object?
Your dog is registered. Why does wanting a copy of your dog's registration REALLY bother you so much? Why do you think wanting copies of your dog's papers so he can register the litter makes him a bad person?
No, he doesn't HAVE to register the litter.
But it's a good idea to do so.
And knowing that they are full-blooded is important to many people who may wish to buy the pups.
If the new owners can't get copies of your dog's papers from the b*tch's owner, it makes him look bad. Why would you want to do that to him?
No, you don't HAVE to give him a copy of your male's registration papers, but not doing so would really be rude, crude, tacky and b*tchy! You providing your dog's registry # and copies of your dog's registration papers should have been part of the contract you SHOULD have drawn up when you turned your dog over to do stud services. You should also have provided him with copies of photos of your dog so the new owners of the pups could see what daddy looks like.
Come ON ... be fair to the b*tch's owner
and if you object to giving a copy of your dog's registration to a b*tches owner, then have him neutered so he can't be used for stud -!-