How do I get my car title back from my dad that has both our names on it and was payed for entirely by me?

How do I get my car title back from my dad that has both our names on it and was payed for entirely by me? Topic: An alcoholic case story
May 26, 2019 / By Deana
Question: So I've had a falling out with my dad because his current girlfriend doesn't like me and I refuse to apologize to her for something that I didn't do. I wont go into the drama of it but long story short he's an alcoholic/narcissist and she's manipulative. Getting my car title is the last thing I need to do in order to severe the ties from my toxic relationship with him. He's just not giving me it. Originally when I bought the car we put his name on it too in case I died or something so that it would go to him. BOTH of our names are on the title and I payed every single penny for it. He did not pay for it at all nor did I ever borrow money from him to make payments. The car is payed off entirely and now he's refusing to give me the title. What can I do? I have all of the paperwork from the car dealership when I bought it AND the loan was in my banking account so I have proof that I payed for it. Should I call a cop and have them show up with me to retrieve it? Could I legally do that? I seriously am tired of him playing childish games and I want more than anything to move on with my life and not have him try and manipulate me with my car title.
Best Answer

Best Answers: How do I get my car title back from my dad that has both our names on it and was payed for entirely by me?

Bridget Bridget | 4 days ago
Entidtil is correct. It will complete depend on how the names are listed, as in AND, OR, or simply both names. If the names are listed as AND, or just the two names without a qualifier, you would have to have permission from dad to transfer title. However, if the names are listed with an OR you have as much power has he does as far as ownership. If this is the case you can transfer the title solely in your name without permission for your dad. If the situation is indeed AND your only recourse would be to take him to small claims court. If you do have to do this the judge would most like grant you full ownership.
👍 216 | 👎 4
Did you like the answer? How do I get my car title back from my dad that has both our names on it and was payed for entirely by me? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: An alcoholic case story

Bridget Originally Answered: I'm trying to find the title of a Japanese film I saw a few years back?
Death note. its an anime, not a movie..oh my bad, it was made into a movie. Well it started as an anime. Its on netflix. the anime is at least. DOnt bother with the movies or the last 20 episodes of the series. The death note series is 22-24 episodes long,...then to extend the series and make more money, they duplicate the entire story line and make another 22-24 episodes. Either way its still one of the best animes.

Alfreda Alfreda
My empathy, sounds like a bad situation. Based on your comments, you don't say your age, but I think when you first set this deal up he had this day in mind and knew he would be an owner of an asset he did not pay for or have any moral right to. Evidenced by the fact, you don't say your age, but putting a car in some other person's name in case they die makes no sense. And in fact he found some bogus reason not to give you the title. That was the plan. So knowing this is key. It is not about the squabble you mentioned. We have had sick relatives who were terminally ill, we did not change any car titles, just made sure they had a valid will. Just sit tight for a bit and DO NOT mention it for a few weeks. Do not give him any info on this topic. You have the car, you can get registration, etc. Is your state a notary state? Meaning the title has to be notarized by the owner/s to be sold/transferred. If so that gives you some protection. I am concerned he will try to sell the car, or get a title loan. Meet with an attorney to find out if you have any rights here. It may be a case of moral rights, but no legal ground remove a person from a title regardless of any verbal agreements or who paid what. When you get a new address, change your driver's license address, then go to DMV and say you need a replacement title and this is your new address. You need to check on the details for your state, some places they require both parties to request a new title, in some places they send a letter to the DMV address of the other person, in some places they issue a new title and say not our business how you two manage this. That would be best situation. As for the title, signing, you will need some leverage to get him to sign it over, maybe he will just take some money for it? Hope it works out. a>
👍 90 | 👎 0

Tylor Tylor
How do you get ex back? Read here https://tr.im/djSqQ First: This girl may have been your first love - but she will not be your last love. She was just first. By first, that means there will be a second - and maybe a third and fourth - love. In fact, I rather doubt you really do love her in the way a real relationship works - because you fought all the time and you apparently always had to have the upper hand. If you really loved her you would have been much more considerate of her in the first place. Second: You are at least man enough to describe what you did to make her break off with you - you argued with her about everything - who she talked to, that she wasn't at your beck and call, everything. Would you want to be with someone who did this to you? Hardly not. Well, neither did she - and she ended it. OK so learn something from this. Don't do this kind of thing to your next girl or you will be back on Y/A crying like you are now. Learn from this. If you need to get counseling - then seek counseling. But at least you recognize what you did to screw things up. That's to your credit. But learn from it. Third: Can you get her back? No. She has made it clear that she may still like you as a friend - but never again as a lover/boyfriend. Accept that and move on. One thing for sure - stop contacting her and begging her. Do not follow her. Do not make a public scene etc. That is called stalking and in the U.S. it is against the law to stalk someone - which can land you in jail and be labeled a sex offender for the rest of your life. You don't want that. Not good at all. How do you mend a broken heart? It takes time. LOTS of time. It starts by accepting that the relationship is over and then reflecting on what went wrong and how you contributed to it. You're doing this now - so you're doing the right thing. Stop contacting her because every time you do, you're just tearing open an old wound. Be polite and even friendly when you two meet in person (as you probably will occasionally) but explain to her that you need some time away from her so you can heal from the breakup. Make it stick Is this easy? No. Breakups hurt all over. They make you sick to your stomach and can even cause you to mess up other things in your life - but that's why they call it lovesick.
👍 87 | 👎 -4

Ridley Ridley
It depends on the wording on the cars title. If your names are listed with the word "OR" separating your names then you don't need the present title because you can get a duplicate title from your DMV and change the title to read only you as the owner. If the names are separated with the word ":AND" then both signatures are required and one person cannot act without the signature of the other person. As you probably know, It doesn't matter legally who took out the loan for the car, who paid for the car. All that matters is how the owner(s) are listed on the title
👍 84 | 👎 -8

Merrill Merrill
Want to know how to get your ex back? Change yourself. Don't worry about changing other people, worry about changing yourself. Go to https://tr.im/sJqAp Once you do that then you can start to worry about getting back together with your ex, other wise you will find that you are fighting about all the same things and getting no where. Do what it takes and I promise things will work out in your favor. The funny thing is I came to the realization that I had to change a little too late. After I was kicked out and after I was about to lose the only things that truly mattered to me - her love. A funny thing happens when we truly love someone and lose them. We do what ever it takes to get them back. For me I had to drop bad habits that had caused not only our relationship to sour but practically every other relationship I had had in the past. Not only with women, but with friends, co-workers, family, you name it. Which is why I say to you as my ex at the time said to me, the only thing you can do is change yourself. Work on yourself and improve on the person that you already are. Drop the negative things in your life that don't belong there and you will see all of your relationships start to take off to new heights.
👍 81 | 👎 -12

Merrill Originally Answered: What Are Some Good Girl And Boy Names For A Good Fantasy Story And A Title?
I'm currently doing the same thing right now..lol.. Name for Hot girls: Vanessa Casey Sabrina Mikayla Alexa Boys name: Jared Austin Kale Riley I can't really suggest for the title of the book since I barely don't have an idea of what u are writing..lol

If you have your own answer to the question an alcoholic case story, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.