Want to get a job in Japan?

Want to get a job in Japan? Topic: How much does a research scientist get paid
May 25, 2019 / By Dixy
Question: I am currently a senior in high school and I am really interested in the Japan to the point that I'm seriously contemplating living there in the future. My prospective major is biology-related (something along the lines of biochem, biophysics, neuroscience). Some careers that I'm thinking of are scientific researcher, pharmacist, or physician... which I don't think are jobs that they absolutely need foreigners for. Assuming I have the qualifications of a degree from a good university and can communicate in Japanese, how hard do you think it will be for me to get a relevant career in Japan? Also, if you're a foreigner who works in Japan, what is your job and how did you manage to get it? Thanks in advance. @Tokyo E: Let's say I get a medical degree in the US.. does that not transfer over to Japan? how about just becoming a scientific researcher (for a drug company or whatnot) @ Tokyo E and Carl: Are you foreigners in Japan? What kind of careers do you do, if I may ask?
Best Answer

Best Answers: Want to get a job in Japan?

Carlie Carlie | 9 days ago
Hey Friend, I am an American female who worked at the Tokyo American Club as a youth recreation program manager. I got my job through an internship, and I think internships are a great way to find jobs (particularly research-related) anywhere in the world. Currently I am back in the U.S. trying to get my PhD. I think that if research is something you would be interested in doing, it would be the best way for you to find work in Japan. First of all--there are many world-class universities in Japan where many students choose to go to as lab researchers and PhD candidates. If you majored in Biology as an undergrad and perhaps double majored in Japanese, worked/volunteered in a lab, and helped a professor with research, you could potentially apply to a Japanese school to get your masters or PhD. Getting a degree from a Japanese uni would certainly put you in a good place to getting a job in Japan ultimately--and you would have an opportunity to start living in Japan at a younger age. Most researchers for drug companies usually have a lot of lab experience or a higher-level degree (MA or PhD). Both of these you can get while studying in the U.S. OR Japan, but studying in Japan would certainly give you an edge (you'd already be in Japan and could apply before you're done with school). You could also get a job right after college at a multi-national corporation (that does business in Japan, obviously) as a corporate-scientist, and after working for a few years start requesting a transfer to the Japanese office. It's my own personal opinion that getting a job in academic research (i.e. at a university) would be a lot easier because the university environment varies very little internationally, whereas business in Japan can be much different. For example, a genetics lab in the U.S. is going to vary very little procedurally from a Genetics lab in Japan because the science itself is consistent and the scientific process is standardized. It's my opinion that it is easier for foreigners to get jobs in academia because it is more uniform in this respect (but I'll admit that I could be biased, as you'll see from the last paragraph). I think that living in Japan for a period of time would also increase your hiring-potential in Japan. Whether you are interning in Japan (perhaps through a research program at your university? I know my alma mater (U.C. Davis) offers fellowships for undergrads to work on research at Tokyo U and Keio in Tokyo) or actually going to school there--it shows that you have experience in the culture, an interest in the country, a command of the language, and it also gives employers an idea of your vitality as an employee (i.e. how long you are going to stick around). Hiring from overseas is always a liability because employees could get homesick or have trouble adapting, so hiring someone who has experience in that country or who is currently living there would certainly be advantageous. As you can see, there are lots of different options. The reason I know so much is because my former job was at a club for ex-pats living in Japan--many of them English-speaking who, one way or another, found a very well-paying job in Japan (the membership to this club is very expensive, and so the members were usually quite wealthy). Conversations with the members actually helped me find my own path--I want to teach English Composition or Literature at an American or International University in Japan, and am applying to schools in Japan to try to increase my hiring-potential. Good luck to both of us!
👍 166 | 👎 9
Did you like the answer? Want to get a job in Japan? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: How much does a research scientist get paid

Carlie Originally Answered: US-Japan alliance.does this mean that Japan has no real foreign policy?
Of course it has its own foreign policy, it even sent troops to Afghanistan, not many troops and many people in Japan were against the idea. Japan is very isolationist and the people of Japan do not like outsiders. Unfortunately the people you are in charge of japan's polices are old morons who lived in a different age do not understand how the 21st century works and japan has never recovered from the 1990s collapse of its economy despite what some people say.

Andriana Andriana
I worked for a compnay called LABO in Japan. Bascially it's a English school that teachers kids and adults of all ages after school like a club. I helped teach English and did office work. I went not knowing much Japanese but picked it up real quick. I had no qualifications and got paid 90,000 yen a month plus accomodation and travel paid for. There aren't really many jobs you can do unless you speak a fair bit of Japanese. You could try bar's or English tutoring. It will be hard too beacuse you have no qualifications but not impossible. Maybe you could spend a bit of money and do a Japanese course to learn at least some Japanese. You will need to have it arranged before you go with a company to get the right visa. Try searching on international job search. Good luck with it all. Edit- you do not need a degree to get a working visa in Japan! I had no degree and got a working visa easy!
👍 60 | 👎 5

Whitney Whitney
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw3ZA There are very few jobs available for foreigners in Japan that don't require at least a passing understanding of the Japanese language or a college degree. Those few jobs are mostly in the hospitality industry, and most of them will not qualify you to get a work visa that will allow you to work in Japan legally. Needless to say, the few jobs that pay moderately well, are legal and don't have strict educational requirments will be few and far between and you will have a ton of competition in trying to land one. To teach English in Japan, reputable education companies like NOVA (who will help you get your work visa, find a place to live and provide support services) require a college degree. Many internaltional companies keep offices in Japan, but in order to work there, you would need to already be an employee of the company and try to arrange for a transfer. Jobs that are available without degrees or speaking Japanese include bartending, hostessing, modeling, etc... but most of these jobs will not qualify you for a work visa and if you are found overstaying a tourist visa or working illegally, you can be arrested and deported.
👍 52 | 👎 1

Sander Sander
The number of biology-related job in Japan is limited. It's very difficult to get one even if you majored biology in Japan. >can communicate in Japanese, If you can communicate in Japanese like a native, there are some possibilities. But it's still difficult. If you can't, it's nearly impossible. >does that not transfer over to Japan? No. US degree does not work in Japan. >how about just becoming a scientific researcher (for a drug company or whatnot) It's difficult.
👍 44 | 👎 -3

Nandy Nandy
Your medical license obtained in the US is not portable to Japan. You have to take an exam again even though you don't need to go to medical school again. The medical schools are open only to the best and the brightest as well as in other countries, but the national exam for MD is not so difficult. Your English proficiency makes little advantage to seek a job as scientific researcher in Japan because most of Japanese researchers know at least how to read the English papers. But many of labs in Japanese universities are open to foreign students, so you can spend several years as the researcher in some univ. and then you may have recommendation from your professor for biochem industries. Some of top-rated national universities take no tuition for doctor course. Japanese proficiency is essential to work in Japan, so spending time among Japanese students is not bad idea to reinforce your Japanese. The current situation is rapidly changing, The Japanese society is desperately seeking medical stuff to compensate the shortage of labor forces due to rapid aging. MOH Japan is gradually deregulating the condition for foreigners, so better to catch up the latest news something as below: http://www.japantoday.com/category/natio...
👍 36 | 👎 -7

Kenton Kenton
Look at it this way, if a Japanese can do the job, they will always be hired first. The employer has to sponsor the employee for a work visa. They're not going to do this when there's already someone there who can do the work. The only jobs we can do are those that a Japanese can't or won't do. Some of the jobs you mentioned need a license. That means you would have to graduate from a Japanese school. And that means being able to read, write and speak Japanese at an above average level. Finding work in Japan is hard. Period. Sorry, I don't like to sugarcoat things.
👍 28 | 👎 -11

Horsa Horsa
This type of question gets asked here at least once a day, so here’s Standard Answer #1: You're not going to be living in Japan unless you have a visa to do so. Here are the various visas you can get: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/... There are two kinds of jobs available for foreigners in Japan, those jobs that Japanese people can't do, or won't do. English teaching fits into the can't do section, since they're not native English speakers. The won't do fits into the 3 K category: kiken, kitsui, kitanai. (3 D's in English: dangerous, difficult, dirty) Any job that a qualified Japanese can do, will go to the Japanese person first. That's just the way it is. To get a working visa you need the following: • Visa application • Passport • Photograph • Certificate of eligibility • Documents showing professional qualifications • Resume • Acceptance letter from Japanese employer • Annual report from Japanese employer • Application fees To get a student visa, you need the following • Visa application • Passport • Photograph • Certificate of eligibility • Documents certifying the purpose of the visit • A copy of a certificate of admission from the educational institution where the person concerned intends to study • Documents certifying that the person concerned can defray all expenses incurred during their stay in Japan (basically showing that you’ve got enough money on-hand to support yourself while you’re at school) • Also, keep in mind that you’ll need to pass at least Level 2 of the JLPT, as 99.8% of all post-secondary education in Japan is going to be taught in Japanese. To obtain permanent residency, you have to have lived and worked in Japan, consecutively, for at least 5 years. You have to have made a positive impact on Japan. You can not have a criminal record with the Japanese police, and you have to have paid all your taxes on time. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetudu... http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetudu... If you fit all those descriptions, fill out this application http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/05.html and get a copy of your tax records, family registry, and a note from your job, and take them all to the local Immigration office. They'll let you know something in around 6 months. To become a citizen of Japan, you need the following: • Application of residency • Proof that you've been living in Japan for more than five years • Fluency in Japanese • Proof of personal finances and skills necessary to support yourself You need to be fluent in Japanese, since there will be an in-person interview with a Ministry of Justice official. Plus, you will have to renounce whatever citizenship you may have. Japan only allows you to be a Japanese citizen, no dual nationalities.
👍 20 | 👎 -15

Elwyn Elwyn
I am a foreigner in Japan. Been living here for 14 years and have been working as a teacher here but my husband is Japanese and I know a lot of foreigners working in other areas as well as Japanese working in pharmaceuticals and medical institutions. As a matter of fact, my sister in law has a Japanese medical liecence and is no longer practicing due to the stress levels she encountered on the job. There are foreign companies like Merck, Bayer, etc and hospitals like St. Lukes and some university hospitals which are making dramatic improvements in medicine and research and many of these firms will hire qualified non-Japanese. As for Japanese pharmaceutical companies and hosptials, I have never seen a foreigner other than a few Philipina nurses working in them. My experience with working in Japanese companies and knowing people that work in them (and have studied overseas) is is that besides the language barrier, a lot of things are done very differently and are even backwards to many of us living in how shall I say? More "western" countries. I am not sure that many Americans would even want to work in Japanese companies even if they did have the qualifications unless they worked for a foreign company which would do things a lot more to their understanding and background. Everything is different from the medicine to the insurance to the pay scale to the amount of responsibility that is expected of you. Half the time many people find themselves not even doing the job they were expected to do any not getting any training for what they were hired to do and then get fired for not doing what they were expected to do..I know seems crazy but that seems to be the reality for many people I know in the industry! Anyways, best advice I can give is to get your degree from the US and look for jobs in foreign companies and hospitals which cater to a more international community.
👍 12 | 👎 -19

Elwyn Originally Answered: Where to go and what see and do in Japan?
Shibuya is in Tokyo. Harajuku, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Roppongi, Asakusa, Odaiba are also in there same same. Tokyo has no ordinary danger zone or its own ghetto or slums. It actually exists but travelers from foreign countries can't notice it because those places are behind the front scene in the big city. Not only American but also any forigners can walk in midnight in busy crowded commercial districts above alone. Of course, if you are young, attractive female, you'd better pay attention always for everybody around on excursion though. The possible accident by mental illness person may be occured in everywhere as same as in USA. Try to make a lot of friends when you attend classes in the school to survive in Japan happily. In Japan, Amarican style cheap community college for foreigners are not so popular and many. All you can attend would be Japanese language school for foreigners they may support with your education visa status.

If you have your own answer to the question how much does a research scientist get paid, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.